The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is at the forefront of personalized, cutting edge cancer care. It is also supports comprehensive and novel research and development efforts from some of the most accomplished scientists and academics in the country. To further its mission to eradicate cancer in the state of Texas, the country, and the rest of the world, it has added 15 new members to its Board of Visitors (BOV), or board of volunteers:
- Nita Ambani from Mumbai, India – President of H.N. Hospital and Research Centre, businesswoman and philanthropist of education, human resources and disaster relief
- David Beck from Houston – Co-founder of Beck Redden LLP and one of the country’s Top 10 Trial Lawyers
- I. John Brumley from Fort Worth – Private investor and oil and gas industry expert for 45 years
- Ted Collins Jr. from Midland – Chairman and CEO of Patriot Resource Partners LLC
- William J. Doré Sr. from Lake Charles – CEO of Doré Energy Corporation and founder of Global Industries Ltd.
- Gregg H. Falgout from Houston – Chairman, CEO and President of Island Operating Company, Inc. since 1984
- Gilbert Garcia from Houston – Managing partner of Garcia Hamilton & Associates
- Jimmy I. Gibbs from Spartanburg, S.C. – Founder of Gibbs International, businessman and philanthropist
- George Y. Gonzalez from Spring, Texas – Law firm partner at Haynes and Boone LLP, and named one of Top 100 Influential Hispanics in the U.S.
- Michael J. Medrano from Houston – President and CEO of Equivalent DATA
- Laura Murillo, Ph.D. from Houston – President and CEO of the Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
- Reynaldo Reza from Houston – Vice president and portfolio manager at Fayez Sarofim & Co.
- Alexander Rovt, Ph.D. from New York – President of IBE Trade Corporation
- Joseph Tortorice Jr. from Beaumont – Retired Air Force officer and founder, president and CEO of Deli Management Inc., parent company of Jason’s Deli
- Mark White Jr. from Houston – Former governor of Texas from 1983 to 1987 and chairman of Geovox Security Inc., a private security systems company that manufactures the AVIAN Heartbeat Detector
Melvin Klein, one of the pioneering leaders on the BOV and a member of MD Anderson’s Executive Committee recently welcomed the new members publicly in an MD Anderson press release. Klein noted that he is confident the new board members will each play an essential role in the institution’s commitment to Making Cancer History®. Joining him as BOV officers for the Fiscal Year of 2015 are: James Mulva as Chair-Elect, Nancy Loeffler as Vice Chair, Harry Longwell as Immediate Past Chair, and MD Anderson’s President, Ronald A. DePinho.
Another one of MD Anderson’s most recent additions to its dedicated team of cancer care specialists is one of the country’s top radiation oncologists, Dr. Stephen Hahn. Beginning January 1, 2015, he will be the institution’s new head of the division of radiation oncology, and chair of the department of radiation oncology.