The Texas Healthcare and Bioscience Institute (THBI), one of the state’s leading voices in the industry of healthcare and bioscience, has just announced the lineup of keynotes for its opening Texas Healthcare and Bioscience Summit, scheduled to take place in Austin, Texas this coming June 4-5, 2014. The event will be directed by the Health and Human Services Commissioner, Dr. Kyle Janek.
The event’s host, THBI, aims to make the event a forerunner in learning how the state of Texas can prepare itself to grow into a leader in the field of healthcare and bioscience, in the U.S. as well as internationally, all within the next ten years. The ultimate goal is to establish Texas as the “Third Coast in Biotechnology” in the United States.
THBI’s program for the upcoming summit includes some of the most acclaimed researchers and business professionals in biotech and the life sciences, all of whom have been invited to shed light on the most relevant issues concerning their fellow researchers, businesses, investors, and legislators. Some of the key forums include the following:
- “A 6-month Check Up on the Affordable Care Act’s Impact on Texas” – Panelists include: Tara Ryan, PhRMA; John Zerwas, M.D., Texas State Representative; David Gonzales, Texas Association of Health Plans; Chris Traylor, Health and Human Services Commission.
- “The State’s Role in Attracting and Building Biotech Investment Opportunities” – Moderated by: Jacqueline Northcut, BioHouston. Panelists include: Kevin Lalande, Sante Ventures; Evan Melrose, M.D., Spindletop Capital; Dan Watkins, PhD, Mercury Fund; Rick Anderson, PTV Sciences.
- “Regional Insights for Statewide Progress” – Moderated by: Tom Kowalski, THBI. Panelists include: Jacqueline Northcut, BioHouston; Bruce Leander, BioAustin; Ann Stevens, BioMed San Antonio; Todd McDaniel, The Research Valley Partnership; Jack Hart, Temple Health & Bioscience District.
- “Establishing the Third Coast in Biotechnology: Government, Industry, Reinvention of the Academic Health Science Center” – Presented by: Brett Giroir, M.D., Executive Vice President and CEO, Texas A&M University Health Science Center.
- “How Texas Fits into the Big Picture” – Moderated by: Tom Kowalski, THBI. Panelists include: James Greenwood, President and CEO, BIO; John Castellani, President and CEO, PhRMA.
- “Cancer Moon Shot Program: Creating a Robust Translational Pipeline” – Presented by: Ronald DePinho, M.D., President of MD Anderson Cancer Center.
- “The Future of Medicaid” – Moderated by: Billy Millwee, Millwee Consulting. Panelists include: Cindy Mann, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services; Kyle Janek, M.D., Health and Human Services Commission.
- “Payment Reform and New Models of Care” – Panelists include: Steve Conti, Seton; Robert Popovian, PharmD, Pfizer; Guy Clifton, M.D., University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
- “A Conversation on Biosimilars and the Future of Healthcare Innovation in Texas” – A conversation with Fritz Bittenbender, BIO.
On the 4th of June, THBI will honor Texas House of Representatives Speaker Joe Straus for his significant professional contributions to the biotech industry, along with his admirable support for laws that promote medical research and development — including his tireless work in helping to reform CPRIT. The CEO of Baylor Health Care System and Baylor Scott & White Health, Joel Allison, has been invited as the keynote speaker.
Tom Kowalski, the host company’s president and CEO, recently commented that he is very excited to be working on a first-of-its-kind conference and making it happen in Texas: “THBI is, and always has been, the leading public policy voice for this industry in Texas,” he said, adding, “Currently there is no statewide conference quite like this and we are excited to be able to host it; it is a natural fit for us.”
The Texas Healthcare and Bioscience Summit is scheduled to take place at the Renaissance Hotel in North Austin, Texas. Admission to the conference is priced at $325, exclusive of $100 for the Luminary Dinner. You may register and learn more about THBI’s conference at www.thbi.com.